Yamnuska Backcountry Kitchen’s Beef Chili is hand-crafted from Alberta beef simmered in its own juices with cumin, chill powder, tangy kalamata olives, plum tomatoes, and red kidney beans.
When served with brown rice included in the package, you have a nutritious and delicious dinner that’s easy to prepare; it’s a must-have on our backcountry adventures. Mix in some shredded sharp cheddar cheese just prior to serving and add hot sauce to dial up the heat,
Warning – prepare this meal well away from other campers or you will likely be asked to share your dinner!
71 in stock (can be backordered)
Recipe Inspiration and History
Beef Chili was one of the first meals we ever dehydrated and the recipe is so old we are not sure we can even call it a classic! Although we have made minor adjustments to the recipe over the years, it remains much the same as when we first served it to our guests over 40 years ago.
Nutritional Notes for Beef Chili Dehydrated Dinner
- Excellent source of dietary fibre (24g Total Fat)
- Excellent source of protein
- Excellent source of calcium
- Excellent Source of Iron
Suitability of Beef Chili for Restricted Diets
- May be suitable for lactose-free diets - read the ingredients list carefully.
- May be suitable for gluten-free diets - read the ingredients list carefully.
Suggestions for Serving our Beef Chili
- Served with instant brown rice (included)
- Add shredded old cheddar cheese (not included)
- Add some of your favourite hot sauce to turn up the heat.
- Serve with garlic bread for added enjoyment and calories.
Preparation Instructions for 1 package(135g) of Beef Chili
Keeping hydrated is even more critical when you consume foods that have had their moisture removed to keep from spoiling outside of the fridge and freezer. Proper re-hydration prior to consumption is very important. In high impact or long endurance activities, keeping your body properly hydrated is challenging and can on its own create issues with energy levels, strength and concentration. We have some tips for staying hydrated in the backcountry.
- Mix contents of package and 650ml of water in a 1 L pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, turn off heat, and let stand 15 minutes or longer.
- Return the mixture to boil,
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Times vary depending on altitude and temperature.
- Continue to rehydrate until the desired texture is achieved.
- Season to your personal taste & serve.
Nutrition Facts per 1 package (135g) of our Beef Chili Dinner
- Portion Size 135g (Serves 1)
- Calories 550
- Fat 24g (32%)
- Saturated Fat 6.0g + Trans 0g (30%)
- Cholesterol 60mg (20%)
- Carbohydrate 65g
- Fibre 7g (25%)
- Sugar 10g (10%)
- Protein 18g
- Sodium 7mg (33%)
- Potassium 175mg (4%)
- Calcium 200mg (15%)
- Iron 7.5mg (42%)
Ingredients List for Beef Chili
- Tomatoes diced
- Lean Ground Beef
- Brown Rice ( Instant)
- Tomato paste
- Kalamata Olives
- Dijon Mustard
- Lemon Juice
|Dimensions||80 × 60 × 100 mm|